Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I Have Wisdom Teeth Deciding to Come in Sideway: The Movie

So you may have noticed that I’ve already broken my promise and missed out a whole month. But I have to admit it was a lot harder than I thought to write an article each week during the Melbourne International Comedy Festival. There was so very much going on during that month, I had some of the most fun I have ever had. I had many adventures, from loitering outside the beautiful state library at 2 o’clock in the morning, to performing to a packed room at Trades Hall, to being in a different city with my ladyfriend(for some reason that makes it sound icky) Skye. Nothing can truly describe the feeling, the magic; being in a beautiful city with all your friends, doing what you love and seeing some of the funniest people on the planet. I have returned from it a better comedian, with more focus and drive than ever before. Unlike some, my goal is not to get famous from what I do. I see fame as a by – product of what we do, something that people aspire to without knowing why. Me, I just want to be good, I want to be really good at what I do.

My Dad told me once that there will always be somebody out there that is better than you. I only truly understand that now. It’s not meant to be mean or negative or to discourage, but to ground and strengthen. Ego is something that will always be an issue in my job, ego is helpful, it gives confidence and strength. But an ego that is too large can breed laziness. I will be the first to admit I have a healthy ego and I try to control it as best I can. I know I’m only starting out in this business and that I have a long way to go, but I have to believe that what I am doing is good, that I have something to offer to the world of comedy, otherwise I have no path, no reason. There are some comedians that are for lack of a better word ego maniacs; some deserve it, but most often don’t. One thing that helps me keep grounded is the truth; that we are what we are. We don’t save lives or put out fires, we make people laugh; we entertain. Work is more like play for me, everything about it is so fun, I feel like I have gotten better because that fun has doubled since Melbourne.

Anyway, this is just a quick one because I’ve been home doing nothing on account of my wisdom tooth deciding now would be the time it came in sideways. Thanks teeth, theeth.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to pain town. Don't go to any music festivals on the drugs; you'll get dumped by Skye. in a club.

    A stern warning. Laced with passive aggressive lament.

    Brought to you by the letter P.

    ReplyDelete